Center for Energy, University of Pittsburgh
positioning our region for the future.
PURPOSEThe Center for Energy, housed in the Swanson School of Engineering, is dedicated to improving energy technology development and sustainability, including energy efficiency, advanced materials for demanding energy technologies, carbon management, and energy diversification.
The Center for Energy has assembled a team of more than 70 faculty members already working in energy research from the Departments of Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Geology, and Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science, for the purpose of leveraging their work and expertise.
Center Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
AREAS OF ENERGY RESEARCHAreas of research range from clean coal technologies to harnessing solar energy, and include subjects as diverse as synthetic and biomass-derived fuels, gas hydrates, high-temperature coatings, and fuel cells.
- cleaner combustion of coal and converting coal to clean energy sources;
- carbon dioxide sequestration and conversion;
- new technologies for hydrogen storage and transportation;
- new sensors for more efficient fossil-fuel plants;
- more efficient turbines for power production;
- novel technologies for harnessing solar energy; and
- new materials that enhance performance in harsh environments.